Tuesday 29 May 2012

An apology to Sadako

My son was taken to see the play "Sadako and the Thousand Cranes" yesterday. I had vaguely heard about it before, but while talking to him about it, I could not stop my mind from wandering about this atrocity.

A thousand cranes

How is it that we make such a fuss about apologies by nations on various scales but the most horrific of atrocities to mankind has never been the subject of this discussion? How is it that we are able to justify this in our minds and not think there is an apology due? It is the most horrific war crime ever.

2013-08-20-SadakoStatue3.jpg

This true story, in it's simplicity, is a reflection of the beauty of the culture that produced it. One that we have been unable to fully appreciate due to our successful efforts to demonise it.

It was wonderful to observe my son grapple with a complex set of emotions that were taking over him that he didn't fully understand. He said he hated America!! - a temporary feeling, I'm sure.

2013-08-20-MasahiroandSadako.jpg  2013-08-20-SadakobyBushcropped.jpg

Well, Sadako I unreservedly apologise to you and the very many other beautiful children, women and men of your people, who represent one of the most exquisite cultures in our world. I hope your dad’s story and your magical response resonate in our minds forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment